Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Free schooling?


This is my second activist post in a row. I guess Spring Break is giving my mind the opportunity to expand beyond my work for a little while. My gripe, I call it that because I think I'm just complaining and will not really DO anything to remedy the problem, is the lack of education opportunities for those in the middle.

I applaud Harvard University and other school like them that are offering free undergraduate education for those families that make less than $60,000 per year. I do believe that programs, such as this, are good and will help a small amount of college bound students to receive the best education possible; especially here in the south. However, these schools are missing out on having the largest impact possible.

There is a huge middle in society, families that make more than $60,000 and less than $100,000. These students get very little, if any support from universities. Maybe a small grant that will take care of books but these students must take loans and pray for scholarships to make tuition, room and board, and other college expenses. This lack of funding for people in the middle is even more pronounced in Graduate school. There is almost no financial help for people in the middle trying to get an advanced degree.

Sigh, I know college is a business (even public schools) but is there any solution? How can we get more financial assistance to those in the middle and those wishing to get advanced degrees?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright @ 2008-2010 History Articles | History Article | Powered by Blogger Theme by Donkrax